Saturday, October 3, 2015

An Unexpected Surprise

Hello followers,

So I mentioned last time that S. had a surprise coming. Boy, I had no idea the weight of my words then.

After our time outside Belle, Ariel, and I thought it would be fun to put together a fashion show. S. had gotten us some new outfits from a very fashionable vinyl friend named Barbie and we were excited to be out of our princess dresses for some time. Belle and I were the models while Ariel was in charge of hair and the role of 'audience.'


We were right in the middle of our first change when S. came into the room and cleared her throat for attention. "Sorry to interrupt, but could I talk to you for a minute Rapunzel? It'll only take a short time and then you can come back."

I thought it was odd- S. had never requested an audience with me. Especially nothing so important it couldn't be discussed in front of my friends. After all, they were here first and probably would be more important to inform That's when Ariel's statement from her interview resounded through my head. "S. has been talking about getting some boy dolls for around here." My stomach clenched. Was this it? Was S. finally trying to find my vinyl soulmate? I'll be honest, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. It sounds great, but I can't get past the idea of someone playing matchmaker for me. It's not like I'll fall in love with any old Flynn doll after all.

I wrung my hands nervously as S. carried me outside and set me down on the deck.


"So what's the big deal? It can't be anything small," I asked, hoping to get this right out of the way.

"Well, Rapunzel I've brought you out here to tell you that I was at the Disney Store the other night..."

I knew it. This was the moment S. was going to tell me she had brought home a Flynn doll to match me up with.

"... and who should catch my eye but a 2015 Rapunzel doll. She looked so lonely that I couldn't help but bring her home. She's a little shy, but I swear she would make a great sister for you. Mark my words."


"Sister?!" But before I could finish protesting (or digesting the information for that matter) S. directed my attention over to the other side of the patio.


There stood almost a mirror image of myself. Except, who was this doll? The doll with the rhinestones on her skirt. Why, she looked more like Rapunzel than I did! My instinct was to turn and run away back to the safety of my room and my friends, but my gut told me to give her a chance.

"Hello, I'm Rapunzel," I said as I stepped tentatively over to her.

"I'm Marigold- or Mari for short." It made sense- marigolds looked like the golden flower from our movie.



"S. told me we're supposed to be sisters. She's right you know, I do really long for some sort of company. We don't have to be sisters right away, even if we are sister dolls, but perhaps we could be friends?" 

(For our audience, in this household we consider all dolls of the same princess to be sisters of a sort since they share the same character and mold.) 

I quietly contemplated her offer for a moment. It was silly, but her quiet demeanor and different name already made me feel better. She wasn't here to replace me. She wasn't here to be the 'true' Rapunzel, and to be honest, neither was I. She was just another fashion doll in this world looking for a friend. I could do that much, couldn't I?


"You know what, Mari? I think that would be nice." Any reply of hers was cut off by frantic steps and the quick slide of a screen door. Of course S. had been listening in and was now smiling happily down at us with her camera at the ready. So to end my surprise story here's a picture of us; Marigold & Rapunzel.


Until next time,

Rapunzel (and new friend Mari) 




4 comments:

  1. Hello, Mari! I remember when MyLittleMegara bought her second Meg... I was so worried she was my replacement, especially since she came with Hercules! They were just friends, though you know that from my blog. Now there are 6 Megs here...

    Meg <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been nominated for an award!

    Meg <3

    http://megmylifeinpurpleandplastic.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rapunzel,
    I am writing to let you know that I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. If you would like to participate, and accept the nomination, please read the information posted on my blog (Fashion Doll Memoirs) in the post titled 'Liebster Award Nomination'.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rapunzel,
    I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a fun blog activity called the Quote Of The Day Challenge. If you would like to participate, just post one quote a day on your blog for three days, and on each day nominate three other bloggers for the challenge.
    Even if you don't want to participate, I would like to encourage you to get back to blogging. I really enjoyed reading your posts. I'm hoping that you and your friends are doing well.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete