Sunday, October 12, 2014

A place called home.

I apologize, it's Sunday and this post is a little late. I've had way too much fun in my new home- as you're about to see! But first I need to start from the very beginning.

As you probably already know I'm a Rapunzel doll. Once upon a time I was made and bound for the Disney Store. I may look like Rapunzel, but that doesn't mean that me and my sister dolls are anything like her! While I love reading like Rapunzel I don't have an artistic bone in me! Don't count on me painting any murals, and definitely don't come to me for healing powers. The best thing I can do is try to hunt down a band-aid in S.'s house. Luckily I wasn't trapped in a tower for all of my life, though I guess a box does kind of count. My life started out in the Disney Store where I was pulled from a box stacked next to all of my sister dolls. We were the newest and brightest 2014 dolls. Every day we got to listen to Disney music and watch as our fellow friends found new homes. I had always wished to end up in a good home. Stories circulated the stocking shelves of dolls gone to homes where they'd be found with matted hair and painted faces months later. No one wanted that. It was one thing to be loved, an entirely different one to be ruined.

Imagine my surprise (and pleasure!) when S. picked me up off the shelf and brought me to the check out. Here she was- an adult collector who spoke promises of a big home to explore with plenty of other dolls to hang out with. Us dolls live for as long as we're taken care of and played with. I couldn't think of a better future! I hoped she could see my small nod from inside my plastic box. Next thing I knew I was stuffed in a dark bag and on my way home.

S. deboxed me right away and styled my hair into a braid.


I was still a little bit in shock! I laid down on the bed for a while just enjoying the smell of fresh air and the feeling of no longer having ties around my limbs. It was so refreshing!


Finally I sat up and took in my surroundings. I definitely was in a bedroom- that was clear. S. kindly explained to me that it was her bedroom, but that if I would kindly step into her palm that she would take me over to my very own room. She explained that she had been watching stuff from MyFroggyStuff lately and had been inspired to make me my very own Room in a Box. She had it ready and waiting for me when I arrived home.


S. set me down on the floor and I tentatively took in the room. It was the perfect size, but she assured me that she was still in the process of adding decorations, a roof, and more rooms if I so wanted. I couldn't have even imagined something so great back when I was in the Disney Store. My very own room! How could I ask for more? It's all so much for a mere fashion doll.


Now S. is not a seamstress. She stressed that to me several times while explaining that she currently didn't have much for clothing for me. However, she even sewed me my very own pillow for my bed! At this point I had to sit down I was so overcome by joy. 




I was sitting and just taking in my room when I heard the steps of another doll approaching. The first thing I noticed was her bright yellow ball gown. There was no mistaking her- she was a princess. And a Disney one no less! Another Disney doll like me! I wanted to leap forward and ask her every question I had about S. and my new home. The only reason I didn't was to save myself the embarrassment. I didn't want to be known as the over enthusiastic doll already! 


"You must be Rapunzel," she said. I nodded, on the edge of my seat. "I'm Belle, and S. sent me to welcome you to our house. She also sent Ariel... but that's a problem in itself." I didn't even have time to respond before she stepped back around of the corner of my room with a beckoning hand.


"Oh my goodness!" I exclaimed. There on the edge of the nightstand sat an Ariel doll. I hadn't even noticed in my deboxed stupor. Belle nodded, "See, no one ever considers the difficulties of owning a mermaid doll when they buy one. It's all fun and games and swimming in the bathtub until you leave her on her own. Just like her character Ariel cannot walk on land. I mean, who could expect her to with a constricting tail like that?" 


Hearing Belle's voice Ariel turned and reached down towards us. "It's about time Belle. I thought you were going to leave me here to sit and dry out forever while you got to know the new doll!" She lifted her gaze to my face, appraising. "So you're a Rapunzel, huh? It'll be nice having another voice around here. It gets boring singing the same songs all the time." For once I praised my given ability to sing like my animated counterpart. Where I once got sick of singing songs with my fellow dolls I know looked forward to it. It would be a way to make friends with these two! 


Ariel continued, "Now if you could just help me- Ahhh!" I rushed forward as she fell from the nightstand, a tangle of fins and bright red hair. Belle sighed before grabbing her legs. "Mind giving me a hand?" She asked. "Having a mermaid friend comes with a lot of responsibilities." I lifted her from under her arms and brought her to the bed in my room.


Belle and I finally got her settled into the bed after a little bit of difficulty. I could tell already that this was going to be the beginning of an interesting friendship!


"Thank you," Ariel started. "I don't mean to be a burden. It's just hard getting around when your legs are bound by fins clothing! I never thought I'd be jealous of princess ballgowns." I laughed, pointing down at my own glitterized gown. "I'll never complain again," I said. 


We sat there chatting for hours getting to know each other. It was there that I learned that Ariel loved everything about doing hair and fashion. She definitely didn't style her hair with a fork and wanted nothing to do with sea witches or antiques. Belle, on the other hand, loved the outdoors and everything to do with social events. They were like their Disney characters in some ways and totally different in others. How could I expect any less when I was the same way? 


So that's the start of my tale. You'll have to visit again if you want to find out what other adventures I get into. I know this much though- I am beyond lucky to have a home here with S. and wonderful new friends like Belle and Ariel. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment